Thursday, January 14, 2010

My new project!

It was destiny.

With my Sportster project stalled due to lack of funds, and while reminiscing about the 3-valve twins I used to own, a random eBay search brought up a CM400 parts bike in my local area. No bids, $9.99 to start, and with 3 hrs left til the end I plunked down my bid, thinking someone was going to try sniping at the last second. But like I said, it was destiny. I won the auction, went to pick the bike up the next day and lo and behold it was in remarkably complete condition.

The top tree had been removed along with the clamp bolts from the lower tree, allowing the weight of the bike to bend the lower tree clamps. The seat was missing, some parts removed, but for $9.99 you just can't argue.

The poor CM has been off the road for a long time, it looks like the last time it was registered was in the 80s. I think the mileage is pretty low (<10,000) but sitting in the wet part of Washington state has wreaked havoc with the surface finish of a lot of parts. Aluminum is oxidized, steel rusted, but it seems in good condition where it matters.


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Am a superdream owner and fan you may be interested in this page?

    http://honda-superdream.proboards.com/index.cgi

    ReplyDelete